Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The obvious silver lining

So why am I so upset? Because I'm a brat, that's why. I will begin by saying that this post is about a week and a half late, and I currently no longer harbor these feelings, but at the beginning of last week I was being a total brat, and I'll tell why as soon as I give a little background as to why you haven't heard from me in a while.

In my last random "poem" post I mentioned that I got a job. This is the first time I've worked a full time job, which to my surprise takes up quite a bit of time, so I haven't had much time to post anything. Anyhow, I was working the 2nd shift (2-11) remodeling a Walmart (Oh the glamor of my life, lol) but it was decently ok. And it wasn't that hard. Since I had to be at work at 2, I could no longer volunteer at the vets that I'd been at because they were too far away, but one of the vets that I was with told me about a referral practice that happened to be right down the road. So I got to go there a few times and just as things seemed to be going smoothly, I get a call saying my shift had been changed to the 1st shift (8-5). And then of course everything that was wrong with the whole situation came up.

A bit of short but recent background history. Although I work at Walmart, I don't work for Walmart, I was hired by a temp agency, not knowing at that time that Walmart was hiring as well. If I'd been hired by Walmart I'd be getting paid .20 more, and I would have been able to stay on my original shift because the whole reason I got moved is because Walmart kept hiring people to the 2nd shift to the point that they had enough of their own people and no longer needed the temps. And so here's where the obvious silver lining comes in.

Out of the seven people who had not been fired for missing too many days a row, only four were allowed to keep there job by being moved to the 1st shift. Many temps from 3rd shift were terminated as well. And so here I am complaining and being upset because I was one of the fortunate ones allowed to keep my job. (Woe is me, NOT!!!) But that's not the only silver lining that there was. On the 2-11 shift, I really did not get to see my family at all. I'd see my parents at night when I got home, but the critters (I say that in the most affectionate way, little brothers) I really got to spend no time with except on the weekend. And 1st shift actually has work to do, constantly, which makes the time go by a lot faster. And my supervisor is absolutely hilarious. Generally, 1st shift has proved to be a lot better...so I just can't go to the vet anymore. There's always Christmas vacation. And if it's God's will for me to shadow then, He'll work it out, because He always knows what's best. And the times that I've gotten to spend with my family this summer have been quite epically priceless.

In the end there's a moral of this story as well as a lot of the ones that I've posted. That moral would be: Thank God (literally) that He's a God of second chances because to me it seems that every time He throws a test my way, I fail it. completely. But then He gives me grace to get back up and try again, with His help. So never just fail and leave it that way. You were created to be successful because God's not a failure and you were made in His image.

May the grace of God, the perfect Father, be with you in all that you do. Signing off til next time with the other LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment